Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Speaking Out

Do we ever take risks in order to publicly say what we believe? I have a hard time sometimes knowing when not to say something. My first inclination is to speak out. I feel that most people are just the opposite. Most people don't want to say anything that might be taken the wrong way.

One example is with something today. I recently joined Facebook, an interactive online network. My goal is to connect with as many people as I can and touch their lives in a positive way. I also expect to receive the same. This site has many good things, but also it has its drawbacks. I came across a group page today that was for the purpose of connecting friends from Lawrenceburg and Murfreesboro. What I found was it was mostly college kids that like to drink and party.

On the invite message, the creator of the group took Christ's name in vain and added an expletive. I emailed him and asked him not to take my Lord's name in vain. I did this in the nicest way I knew how. I tried to respect him as much as possible, though he had shown no respect for his Creator. He may label me a Bible thumper, a fundamentalist, or a judge. This was not my goal. My goal was to defend the name of Jesus and have a Christ-like attitude in doing it.

Some people would say I shouldn't have written him. Others would say it wasn't worth my time. Still, others would do the same. I felt like it was the right thing to do. I feel this way because I love my Lord. I also feel this way because I love His creation.

Sometimes you just have to say something. I am afraid our moral character in American culture has been corrupted because we are too worried about political correctness, and not worried enough about righteousness.

Christians, please speak with me.

These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. ~ 1 Corinthians 2:13

1 comment:

  1. I would like to see this blog in the local newspapers. They are a must read for anyone that is seeking knowledge.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete