Monday, November 12, 2007

An "I wish this weren't true" Story

Recently on a facebook group the discussion has centered around Bible class attendance. The question was "What can we do to encourage people to attend?" Let's face it, there are some folks who just won't come to Bible class. It doesn't matter what you do, they are not interested.

This past Sunday morning an amazingly tragic moment in the history of Bible class took place. A friend of mine, who works for a congregation of about 250, noticed a mother and two children come into the auditorium and sit down during the Bible class hour. They are not usually at Bible class. They had forgotten to set their clocks back, and so they sat down thinking it was time for worship.

When they realized their mistake, do you want to guess what they did? If you thought the worst you were correct. They left! And they came back again in an hour for worship! Don't you wonder what they did with the hour they could have spent with God's word?

I wonder how much those children will ever know about the Bible? This is the first time I have ever written an article with no idea how to end it. I don't even know what to write. There is nothing else to say.

4 comments:

  1. You know---It could be that we haven't accepted the fact that forsaking the assembly includes Bible Study....Do we sin right before worship (missing Bible Study with no reason)and walk right in and never repent?

    Good Blog Subject.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a powerful story, but in a big way. I am going to use it in a sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you that I wish I had attended more Bible classes when I was younger. My grandparents (Buford and Gerry) started picking me up regularly every Sunday (morning and evening, and Wednesday night when I was around 12. Sure I had attended prior Bible classes every now and then. Now as I am older, I have realized just how important those classes really were. For the first 12 years I missed out on all of the important stories, especially from the Old Testament that many people know by heart. No I am playing catch-up, especially now that I am teaching a class. I now study these stories and teach them. It's two fold.

    That is one huge reason my son attends every class possible. I want him to start learning at a young age. Bible class is more important than most people realize.

    Mark Evans

    ReplyDelete