Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Keep Your Eye on the Ball

I feel adequately prepared to write about this. My father is legally blind and my grandfather's vision is also very limited. So before anybody thinks I am being unfair I thought I would mention it.

Tonight I went to the LCHS basketball games (girls and boys). Across the gym when the whistle blew I heard I guy halfway up the stands scream at the refs about a call they had just made. This guy was wearing an eye patch! I am sorry but I laughed out loud! Immeditaely my mind drifted back to that old commercial with Bob Uecker sitting up in the nose-bleed section, having been led there by a sherpa and his mountain goats, and screaming, "He missed the tag! He missed the tag!"

Before we go too far, however, I would like to talk to the rest of you who are wearing eyepatches. Yes, you, I am talking to you. I am talking to me. How many times have we claimed spiritual vision? How many times have we seen the faults in others without looking at ourselves? How many times have we allowed this bold opinion to cause us to make a fool of ourselves when we didn't even know it? More times then we know. Because the patch remains.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." ~ Matthew 7:1-5

1 comment:

  1. I went to the Predators game on Tuesday night, and I have never agreed with the refs. It is amazing how this happens.

    ReplyDelete