Monday, June 16, 2008

I'd Rather Have Jesus

Most every Monday morning David Pinckley and I arrive at the office at about the same time. Nobody is calling yet and nobody else is usually there. We get to talk about our lives for a few minutes. We talk about things that are going on with our families, things we need to get done that week, and sometimes we talk about our relationship with God. I enjoy talking about that last subject the most. I love and respect David and I appreciate his dedicated work. He puts a lot of time in calling people and doing church work all week.

One of our discussions surrounded faithfulness to the Lord. I mentioned that our 210+ on a Sunday night on Father's Day really represented a group of people who know where they belong. You see there are some people that are always going to choose spiritual opportunities and responsibilities over anything else. I am very thankful for these people. If it were not for the Sunday evening crowd we would be weaker as a church. Another hour of worship and study binds us together and helps us mature in Christ.

As we were talking, David made a statement that has been running through my mind ever since. He said that if he were to suddenly stop attending the worship, it wouldn't be very long before he wouldn't know what to do with himself. He knew he would sorely miss the assembly, and he knew that the concern he would have about his estranged relationship with God would be difficult to bear. While it is true we are creatures of habit, some things are more than a habit. Some things we do identify who we are, and what matters to us the most. I know that the Sunday night crowd loves to worship. I know they are wanting to go the second mile. I know they are glad when people say, "Let us go into the house of the Lord."

One other thing...I understand exactly how David feels. I really had no business coming back to services the Sunday after my surgery. But I was already feeling a great need to be with God's people and to worship Him. There are many things in this life that we could exchange for Christ. There are hobbies, occupations, relationships, and other things to keep us busy. But the only thing of lasting value is Jesus Christ. I'd rather have Jesus.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway,
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

~ Rhea F. Miller

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ." ~ Philippians 3:7

1 comment:

  1. When I was pregnant with our youngest child I spent 6 weeks on bedrest before she was born. 4 of those weeks were in Centennial Medical Center. I had the hardest time keeping of with the days. My weeks and days all ran together. I know this was from not being able to attend worship services. My family started writing the day and date on a dry erase board in my hospital room. After our daughter was born she had to remain in the NICU for 2 weeks. She was not allowed in public due to health concerns until she reached her due date. This was 6 weeks after she was born. 12 weeks of not attending public worship was very difficult. The first time my husband and I along with both of our daughters attended worship together it was very emotional.

    ReplyDelete