Monday, November 10, 2008

Refreshments

Do you remember when you would go to a function and they would offer "refreshments?" You know, like VBS, when you get cookies and punch. Refreshments were offerings that were not a full meal, but just enough to get you by. Sometimes they are further defined as "light refreshments." I guess the "light" part is just to make sure you understand it isn't going to be much. Overall the idea of refreshments always seemed vague to me. Seems like the server gets to interpret the word however they so choose.

But the concept is actually important. We all need to be refreshed from time to time. We are immersed in a culture where nothing ever stops, everything is demanded now, and stress and pressure never go away. All of us need to take a time out. We need to get out of town. We need to take ten minutes in our lives for cookies and punch.

This week I went away for a day and a half and spent time in the woods. I was alone. I had time to enjoy God's beautiful creation. I had some time to think. I had some moments to work on myself. I relaxed. All of these things help a person refocus and give them an opportunity to draw nearer to God. When you get away from some things you can actually see them more clearly. Everyone needs to step back from the portrait of their life and truly "get the picture."

Our Lord and Savior withdrew from the multitudes in order to receive refreshments. He did not spend his life on vacation as some attempt, but in small pieces He took inventory and prayed. Since we pattern our life after Christ's we should do the same. I fully believe that His moments on mountains were the defining moments of His sacrifice. He gained strength in the alone time. He learned to accept the will of God for His life. He was comforted by heavenly beings. He was refreshed in His spirit.

When was the last time you partook of the refreshments? If it has been too long I highly recommend doing it. Life is a great gift. Drink it in. Drink deeply. Make it count.

"So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed." ~ Luke 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment