Monday, September 20, 2010

SHOE POLISH

This past Sunday morning I did something that I rarely do. I polished my shoes before worship. I don’t polish my shoes often because I am disorganized and somewhat lazy when it comes to shoes. But I have some fairly new brown dress shoes, and I have noticed that they had already faded a little. So I went to the laundry room, reached above the washing machine, and found the brown shoe polish. Then I went to work.

There is no dress code for the worship assembly. There is no tie and jacket rule. We always need to be careful about judging by appearances, or making the world feel unwelcome or unfit for the kingdom of God. Every single person who enters the church building should be loved the same, welcomed the same, and given the same spiritual opportunities. We have an obligation as Christians not to draw attention to ourselves, whether it is that we have not clothed ourselves enough, or we have clothed ourselves too much.

Back to the shoe polish. What is the point? Why did I polish my shoes? I remember as a young boy, getting ready for worship on a Sunday morning. I never had to worry about whether or not I had something to wear. In fact, my parents always let me wear special clothes. They were clothes that were different than anything else I would wear that week. Kids don’t wear button up shirts and ties except on special occasions. But every Sunday was a special occasion for me.

Wearing my best clothes to worship on Sunday has never been about a dress code. It has never been about looking a certain way for others. It has never been about trying to set myself apart from the person who may wander in from the street and into our assembly. It has never been about the fact that I happen to be the one speaking from the pulpit. This past Sunday morning, I polished my shoes because I was getting ready for God. I was getting ready to worship him. I was determined that he was deserving of my very best.

I don’t know what you wear when you assemble with the brethren. I can tell you that on the subject of dress, modesty is the key. Just remember, that God is not only worthy of our effort, he is worthy of our best effort. There is not a more important day on your calendar than the first day of every week.

"'and now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land which you, O LORD, have given me.' Then you shall set it before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God." ~ Deuteronomy 26:10

No comments:

Post a Comment