Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wherever You Go

Today was "Grandfriends' Day" at the school where our children attend. We are living in a society that can no longer just have "Grandparents' Day" because the family has broken down so much from the traditional unit that a name to accomodate all situations had to be created. So just to be politically correct, we have "Grandfriends' Day."

Grandfriends' Day was specifically for the six grade class today, and comprised about an hour and a half of breakfast and other events, including a book fair. Luke knew that none of his grandparents lived in town, and that they could not go, so he had asked me if I would join him. I had a meeting early in the morning, but I stopped by for a few minutes to take him to the book fair. I did not feel too bad for not being able to be there for all of it, because I knew that Luke was still going to be taking a special guest.

Last night, when it was time for our devotional, Luke told me he had decided who he was going to take to Grandfriends' Day. Surprised, and knowing he had no grandparents close by, I asked who it was that he had decided to take. He said, "I am taking Poppie," and with that statement, he reached over to his bed-side table and took out a wallet size picture of my father. This was a picture taken of my dad when he worked for the school system several years ago. At some point, we had given this picture to Luke and he had kept it. For Luke, and for all of us, even though his Poppie is now gone, he is still always with us in a genuine sense.

Our relationship with our heavenly Father is similar. As Joshua took the reigns from Moses to lead Israel across the Jordan and into the promised land, God told him, "Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:7-9).

Whether it be by the things God has taught us in the Bible, or simply the relationship we have been able to develop with our Father in this lifetime, it is good to know that we are truly never alone. We have a loving Father who cares for us who has not chosen for us to ever be completely on our own. He gives us the courage and the power to tackle all of life's problems, but behind the scenes He is ever with us, loving us, guiding us, correcting us, and sustaining us. There is not a day or an event that takes place in this life that He is unwilling to be a part of - we just have to choose to take Him along.

As I left Grandfriends' Day this morning, I looked down at my son whom I love and admire so much, and I asked, "So, did you take Poppie with you today?" He looked at me, and smiled, "Yeah, he is in my pocket."

I could not think of a better place for him to be...

"...for He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" ~ Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment