Monday, April 1, 2013

Reasons to Wish Reading the Bible was Illegal

Before you read any further, please recognize I am asking you to think "outside the box." I am thankful that we have the freedom of religion. I understand how terrible it would be for us if we did not have this freedom. So first of all I want to say, "Thank you" to those who have died to make this freedom possible. And above all, I praise God who has providencially allowed me to live in a time where I can worship and study without fear of the persecution of the first few centuries...

That being said, I have reasons to wish reading the Bible was illegal:

1. Persecution is not a bad thing for us spiritually or eternally. In fact, we could probably benefit from more of it. The early apostles and Christians rejoiced in that they were counted worthy to suffer for the name of Christ (Acts 5:41). If we lived under persecution for our faith, there would be very little hypocrisy in the religious realm. You will not die for something for which you are not genuinely dedicated.

2. It would not change anything in my home. My family and I are going to be Christians anyway. No government is going to keep us from reading the Bible and obeying it. If I had to leave the country to study and practice the teachings of the Bible I would do it in a heartbeat. Our allegiance is to the church over any human nation.

3. People would actually start reading it. Try to take something away from folks and see how they respond. We are literally "up in arms" about the debate over gun control. If you took the Bible away from American citizens, it would be like the old days of prohibition. They would be reading it in closets and valleys and caves. Right now, the Bible sits on everbody's shelves and coffee tables untouched. Next to the crucifixion of Jesus, it is the greatest human tragedy of all time.

4. No work of man will ever destroy the Bible. The Bible has almost always been illegal somewhere. People have lied about it. People have misrepresented it. People have tried to rewrite it or change it. People have gathered copies in piles for burning. People have been killed in every fashion imaginable for believing it. But God has preserved it. Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away" (Matt. 24:35) The Bible is man's last great hope on earth. The Bible is not going anywhere.

5. People would lift it up. It really is true that we do not appreciate what we have until it is taken from us. Imagine how revered the Word of God would be if it were to be removed from us. Imagine what people would do to get a copy. Imagine the potential spiritual revival that would take place in our world. We need this revival now - and so I have good reason to at least wonder what could happen in human hearts if the Bible was taken away.

"Holy Bible, Book divine,
Precious treasure, thou art mine;
Mine to tell me whence I came;
Mine to teach me what I am." ~ John Burton Sr. (1803)

No comments:

Post a Comment