Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What Do You Want?

The greatest irony in the relationship between man and God may simply be this: 1. God does not need us, but He wants us. 2. We need God, but we don't want Him. No wonder why we struggle. Our priorities are often misplaced. This is what living in the world often does to those who were never created to live upon it forever to begin with.

What you want may tell more about who you are at your core than any other thing. So ask yourself while you are reading this article, "What do I really want from my life?" Do you want to live on the earth a long time? Do you want a certain amount of money or a certain house or car or occupation or retirement? Do you want to be known, popular, liked, appreciated, applauded? Do you want to spend your time recreationally or in service to someone else?

Now ask yourself a different question. "What does God really want from my life?" This seems to be a fair question, being that God is the one who created you. He made you, therefore He did it on purpose. He has placed you here temporarily for a reason. But are you acquainted with the reason?

It is a sad truth that most people struggle with understanding their purpose. Especially when all one has to do is read God's word. Psalm 102:18 - "This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord." Isaiah 43:7 - "Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." We are also told we have been created to walk in the spirit of God (Isa. 42:15). We have been created for good works (Eph. 2:10). We have been created for righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:24). We have been created in the image of God, that we might be in the family of God eternally (Gen. 1:26; Eph. 3:15).

When you look at what God wants for us, it is humbling to see how superior his wants are over our own. It seems then, that the prayer most needed is the prayer that says, "Father, please help me want from my life what You want from my life." If this prayer were offered every day, eventually that just might happen. When we pray earnestly and continually for something, it eventually identifies our purpose. Imagine how our lives might be transformed if we truly wanted what God wanted!

So I ask you once more, "What do you want?" If the day ever comes when what we want for us is the same as what God wants for us, perhaps then we will be children of God.

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." ~ Isaiah 55:9

No comments:

Post a Comment