Friday, June 20, 2008

Letters

On March 31, 2008 I posted an article on this blog that was printed in our bulletin. Evidently it was picked up by some other church bulletins. From that article I recently received the following letter. I am going to print it word for word just as it was written. I will protect the name of the author and the church of which she is a member.

Dear Sir,

Your article on lack of Respect toward George Bush. This was printed in our church bulletin, _______________________, June 15, 08 and I wish I had not read it before church began, because it made me angry. This man does not deserve any respect. He lied for a solid year to the American people about "Weapons of Mass Destruction." The inspectors returned after a two year search and reported to him. There were no weapons found.

In an interview approx. two wks. ago the reporter ask George Bush, "Why did you take this country into a war when you knew there was no weapons found." His answer was, "I thought they would find them later."

Sir I respect Hitler as much as I do George Bush. We were taken into that war because Saddam tried to have Bush Senior assassinated after the war of 1991. So after all the pain and suffering, our economy destroyed. This man will never admit to the harm he has caused. So there Mr. Tatum.
___Name Here Signed_______

I am not at all upset about receiving this letter. I keep every negative letter or email I receive. It helps to keep me balanced and reminds me that criticism is a part of personal growth. I encourage any of you to go back and read the article itself, to see as to whether or not this interpretation is correct. What she got out of it was no where near the point I was making. But to her that was the point just the same. For me it had nothing to do with politics, but rather it had to do with respect for authority. But I digress.

It is important for each one of us to remember that criticism can be very valuable. We should not look forward to it, and we should not hope to get it. We should not be controversial for the sake of trouble. But at the same time, if we are never criticized, then we are not living the Christian life.

To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing ~ Elbert Hubbard

"Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound"
~ 2 Timothy 2:9

1 comment:

  1. "Sir I respect Hitler as much as I do George Bush."

    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete