Monday, March 1, 2010

Proofreading

As I was driving Sunday evening down the main highway that runs through our little town, I read a billboard for a local business that made me laugh. It said, "SMART CARDS, BUY ONE GET OEN FREE." That was not my typo. That is exactly what the sign said. It was a glaring mistake. So far, to my knowledge, the sign has not yet been changed. It made me wonder if anyone has seen that sign yet and decided to purchase a "smart card."

We are human. We make many mistakes. As a preacher, I sometimes misquote a Scripture. Sometimes I use poor grammar. Sometimes I just call out the wrong text. When I write articles, the good people who work here in our office help to make them better through proofreading and adjusting. I proofread everything I write several times, and still some of the worst mistakes get through.

Being a Christian does not imply perfection. Christianity as a whole is just the opposite in some senses. Claiming Christ is a declaration of dependence. It is a recognition of one's own individual guilt. It is a plea for help, and mercy, and grace!

A large part of what it takes to be a Christian is the humility to let other people proofread your life. Elders, friends, parents, spouses, and others who truly care about you will take the time to look over the book you are writing and help you make some corrections. I used to hate when my mother would look at my schoolwork and tell me I did something wrong. Part of my problem was that I was too lazy to do anything twice. Another part was that I was too proud to accept my imperfections, or that I could try harder or do better.

As time has passed I have learned that being under authority is not a hindrance, but rather a safeguard for my soul. Our God is the chief proofreader of our lives. He is here to make what we think, what we say, and what we do, more excellent. He is helping us to write a better story.

"...I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." ~ Jeremiah 31:33

No comments:

Post a Comment