Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vacation Bible School, 2010

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up I could not wait for VBS week. As I recall we mostly did this in the mornings, but these days it seems that evenings are best and more people get involved this way.

I have great memories of VBS from the past. I remember asking every kid on my street to go with me, and my mom shipping everybody throughout the week so that I could win that brand new Bible for bringing the most friends. I remember learning new songs that taught me about God and His Son Jesus Christ. Not only was I learning about God's love, I was learning about His word and His plan in these songs. I remember crafts and refreshments. I remember puppet shows and prizes I got to take home. Most of all, I just remember how fun it was to be a young person who knew about God and who had some direction and guidance. VBS made me realize how much I mattered!

I want to give to you an illustration that I feel is very powerful that comes from my own house. The other day, when I had my sons in the car, we were talking about how school was almost over and how VBS was right around the corner. Daniel, who is five, immediately chimed in, "Rememeber last year when at the puppet show that puppet said, "I got my ba-a-a-at! I got my ba-a-a-t!? That was really funny!" Luke pointed out that was a skit they did on Thursday night. This conversation reminded me that our children are very perceptive and impressionable. They are listening to everything we say and do, and they are getting memories right now that will last them for the rest of their lives.

My three children love VBS. I want to tell you that as I write this there are tears in my eyes. This is my dream come true. That my children would want to be at church services and that they would be in a congregation that loves them the way this one does is more than I could ever hope for or want. So in advance, I want to thank my church family for the way you love all of our children.

It is my opinion, that our love for our children and for God's will in their lives is what makes our VBS the greatest VBS I have ever known. We are doing something great here, and I hope we realize just how important it is.

If you are looking for a way to make a difference - VBS at Pulaski St. is the answer.

June 6-10, every night at 7 p.m. SEE YOU THERE!

"But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.'" ~ Matthew 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment