Monday, June 21, 2010

Retrospect

Since 2004, we have included in the end of the year bulletins the year in retrospect. That is, we have listed our births, deaths, baptisms, and those who have placed membership with us in the past year. This week I gleaned from those bulletins some thoughts about people who have passed on from Pulaski St. since I have been here. This list does not include everyone, but these are just some personal thoughts.

I miss Bill Powell's stories.
I miss James Tripp's smiling confidence although bedridden.
I miss Foster Lee's advice.
I miss Bim West's hunting trips.
I miss Ivan Warren's gentleness with my children.
I miss Odus Campbell's singing voice.
I miss Jean Kyle's support.
I miss Charles Heffington's positive attitude.
I miss M.D. Moore's humility.
I miss Virginia Boyd's friendship cakes and phone calls.
I miss William Potts' preaching tips.
I miss Thelma Reeves' little chuckle that reminded me of my grandmother.
I miss Wilson Boyd's critiques of my sermons.
I miss Frances Green's educated suggestions.
I miss Joan Smith's strawberry pies.
I miss Nelson Gunnell's strengthening presence.
I miss Evie Springer's Christian example.
I miss Ellen Warren's kindness.
I miss Hushell Spann's quiet respectability.
I miss Jessie Mae Rigsby's mountain moving faith.
I miss Roy Smith's love for the Lord.
I miss Ruth Trammell's love for my children.
I miss Bill Jackson's Sunday suits.
I miss Willard Wells' friendship.
I miss Audrey Wiley's spunk.
I miss Woodrow Kelly's walks of repentance.
I miss Grace Kidd's laugh.
I miss Bettye Brewer's mothering of me.
I miss "Red" Mitchell's gentlemanly Christianity.
I miss Bob Reeves' political opinions.
I miss Dot Jackson's independence.
I miss Joann Ward's hunger for worship.
I miss Elizabeth Ratliff's sincerity.
I miss Martha Dean Belew's dependability.
I miss Lelton Davis' compassion.
I miss Betsy Roberts' encouraging praise.
I miss Edsel Goff's trust in God.

These are just some of the things I am thankful for from these friends and fellow Christians that have gone on to their reward. There are so many others not mentioned here for whom I am also thankful. One thing that you can count on when you reflect on the lives that have touched your own - Heaven is going to be a wonderful place!

"Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, "Write: 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' " "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them." ~ Revelation 14:13

No comments:

Post a Comment