Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Greatest Event in History

There are good days and there are bad days. One may contemplate what they consider the greatest day or the worst day of their life. Personal experience will determine what was the best or worst day for each person.

Historically, a debate could also be waged concerning the most significant event since the world began. Was the best event creation? Was the worst event the great flood? Was the best event the birth of Jesus? Was the worst event when the first atomic bomb exploded? Arguments could be made and some good evidence could support whatever event was being proposed for whatever reason. But can there be any doubt, that God Himself trumped every argument when by His power Jesus was raised from the dead?

In the movie City Slickers, Mitch asked Ed, "What was your best day?" Ed replied, "I'm 14 and my mother and father are fighting again... y'know, because she caught him again. Caught him... this time the girl drove by the house to pick him up. And I finally realized, he wasn't just cheating on my mother, he was cheating us. So I told him, I said, "You're bad to us. We don't love you. I'll take care of my mother and my sister. We don't need you any more." And he made like he was gonna hit me, but I didn't budge. And he turned around and he left. He never bothered us again. Well, I took care of my mother and my sister from that day on. That's my best day." Then Ed was asked by another character named Phil, "What was your worst day?" Ed replied, "Same day."

The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus was both the worst event and the best event in human history. It thus became the greatest event of all time. It is an event that demands a response. It is an event that makes life after death possible. It is an event in which we can all rejoice in the manifestation of the power of God and the love of God.

Your best day ever has already been determined by the greatest event in history. Christ's resurrection has prepared you for your own. Jesus was raised from an earthly tomb so that you could be raised from the watery grave of baptism. Have you had your best day ever? If not, then may I ask, "What are you waiting for?"

"Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection" ~ Rom. 6:4-5

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this great reminder. The story from the movie was so touching. Most importantly, I am in awe at the double-standing of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection in history as the best and worst event. There can be no arguing on that point. Your convictions encourage me!

    ReplyDelete