Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Kitchen Table

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms out there! We hope you have a wonderful day with family and friends. I imagine that some moms will go out to dinner with their families. I also know that there are some of those moms out there who will insist on cooking and having everybody at the house. This is the way it usually was in my family. It usually meant going to Grandma’s on Sunday afternoon following worship.
            During my growing up years I remember sitting around the kitchen table. We did this in the morning at breakfast and again when dad got home from work. I can recall the square oak table and where I was positioned most of the time. I remember laughing, crying (when I didn’t want to eat my peas), and discussing life’s events around the kitchen table. These are the old scenes of childhood. The kitchen table was a place of fellowship, communication, nourishment, and love. My mother made sure of it.
            A few years ago I read an article written by a preacher friend of mine from Texas. The article was asking the reader to imagine a well-balanced meal being provided and set before a family at the table. But the children didn’t come to the table. The youngest said he didn’t like what was being served. Two other children missed the meal for a ball game down the street. Whatever the reason, something else took precedence. How do you think that made the provider feel?
            Family relationships have been given to mankind by God in order to help us understand who He is and who we are. Family dynamics speak volumes about the function and growth of the family. We can compare personal family relationships with the relationships that exist within God’s family, the church, to see if we are measuring up to the standard God has set for each family.
            Now imagine again the table being made ready. The children have been told to assemble and “Do this in remembrance of Me.” The table represents God’s greatest provision. Love and fellowship are there. Mercy and grace are there. It would seem that gathering around this table would be a great honor. It would seem that one would never want to miss it. Now hear the comments some use to excuse themselves – “…had a ball game.” “…didn’t like the meal.” “…had other plans.”
            In our home, the children ask permission from the parents to be excused from the table. They do not excuse themselves. This is how it was while we were growing up. This is how it will be for our children. Honor is given to the provider. Appreciation is learned. Love is available to all.
            I am thankful to my mother for always setting the table for me with the love and consideration that only a parent can understand. I am thankful to the Godhead for the table set for me to begin every week of my life. There is nothing quite like this table. There is nothing quite like the communion to be shared with those you love.

“He invites us in to His banquet table and His banner over us is love…”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jeremiah, for these insightful and encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete