Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Preaching Mistakes

This past Sunday while trying to quote Mark 16:15-16, I accidentally called out, "Matthew 16:15-16." Then Sunday evening, while Mike Dyer was preaching, when meaning to refer to Jeremiah 29:11, he instead said "Jeremiah 22:11." This happens all of the time. If you speak very much you are going to make mistakes. The most eloquent, polished speakers are going to commit errors because every person is fallible. Preachers don't need to beat themselves up about it, and members don't need to be overly concerned about it. For those of you who don't preach but who worship regularly, us preachers are asking you to give us the benefit of the doubt.

When I became a preacher I knew I would make mistakes. I have made many in the past, I continue to make them in the present, and I suppose that even though I never want to make another one, I will still have trouble in the future. But all of this reminds me that a preaching mistake, when unintended, can be a blessing to everyone in attendance when our focus is as it should be. Here's why:

1. The listener has the opportunity to catch the mistake. I did not know I said, "Matthew" instead of "Mark," until someone told me. I was so thankful they told me. This let me know that someone was paying attention. It also let me know that they either knew the Scripture or looked it up. Their communication gave me the opportunity to correct my mistake. One of the reasons I am even writing about this and putting it on the front page of our bulletin is to own up to the misquotation. Every preacher who loves the Lord would never want to preach anything but what the Bible teaches. When it is brought to our attention that we have made a mistake, it is a blessing.

2. Not everything you hear in life is true. We have the responsibility to "test the spirits, to see whether they are of God" (1 John 4:1). Paul said, "Test all things, hold fast to what is good" (1 Thes. 5:21). The reason why many people leave the church is directly related to how they view preaching. If preaching is someone talking while you listen and nothing else then there is a major problem. There needs to be a meeting of every mind and heart at foot of the cross to hear the word of the Lord. Padded pews and comfortable temperatures are overrated. Paul said that in latter times people would heap up for themselves teachers who would tickle their ears. This is not gospel preaching. A Bible man tells the Bible plan. Everyone should be engaged in the discussion as if their souls are on the line because in reality this is the case. Preaching must be examined, evaluated, tested, and applied. It must be in keeping with the standards of the holy and inerrant word of God.

3. Mistakes in the pulpit remind us of God's perfection. Paul told the Corinthians, who often attacked his preaching, "I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God" (1 Cor. 2:3-5). God deserves all of the glory in everything, especially preaching. It is His will, His word, and His wonderful grace. Paul reminded the brethren that he was not behind what was being preached, but every word came by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Today preachers only have the Bible, but the Bible is all we need and it is still the testimony of the Holy Spirit. Our faith cannot be in preachers. No preacher ever wants to be believed because he is the preacher. Genuine faith is hearing and believing the word of God (Rom. 10:17).

4. Mistakes from the pulpit keep the preacher humble. Every Christian who commits much time to service in the church can be in danger of becoming arrogant. When we receive compliments we might start to believe them. My grandmother (a preacher's wife) always used to say it was her job to keep her husband's head the correct size. If he got complimented too much his head might not fit through the door, but if he was being ridiculed and criticized too much he may get discouraged and decide to leave the ministry. Compliments and criticism together will both be a blessing to a Christian with the right attitude. I have had different people walk out the door with a thumbs up or a thumbs down to the same sermon I had just preached. This humbled me. It also reminded me that God was the only one I was trying to please.

Preachers make mistakes. People make mistakes. How thankful we are for the Father who resides in heaven who is perfect and holy but who gives grace! How thankful we are for the Son who stands by His side and intercedes with His blood! How thankful we are for Comforter who rules in our hearts and gives us peace!

"Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; And to our God, for He will abundantly pardon." - Isaiah 55:7

No comments:

Post a Comment