Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Greatness of Attending Gospel Meetings

Ok, folks, here's the deal. We are blowing it. We are messing up big time. We are making the mistake of not attending gospel meetings. I, too, am guilty. I see them in bulletins, hear of them in anouncements, and see the fliers come to the office. But this last week I attended two different gospel meetings, and I have to say it was the most encouraging and uplifting thing I have done in a long while.

Here's why:

I supported the work of my brethren - They were encourgaed to see me. They were glad I was interested in the preaching of the gospel.
I received the gospel - As a preacher I don't get many opportunities to hear the gospel preached. I need it so desperately to grow!
I grew closer to fellow Christians - Those of us who went in the van to Ardmore had such a great time talking and just being brethren. I feel closer to the group of folks who went than I did before.
I restored my spirit - By being in the pew with brethren in different locations who feel the same way, speak the same thing, love the same Lord, I was resolved to begin again in Jesus Christ. Whether one answers the invitation publicly or privately, assembling with Christians and hearing the gospel can revive the soul.

We need to go to more gospel meetings individually and collectively. PERIOD.
"I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord!" ~ Psalm 122:1

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts.

    One of the things I enjoy most about living in the South is that there are so many opportunities like Gospel Meetings to attend.

    I think part of our problem is that, there are so many, we become complacent.

    Other part of the world, and even this country, do not have so many opportunities to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I went to a Gospel Meeting this week and completely enjoyed it. Even preachers need to sit in the pews sometimes. Sometimes this is the best place for us to sit.

    ReplyDelete