Monday, August 27, 2007

Two-Dollar Faith

I have had this two-dollar bill in a mug in my office for a couple of years now. I haven't done anything with it. After all, it's a two-dollar bill. How many times have you received change and a two dollar bill was in it? Two-dollar bills are kind of nostalgic. They are nice to look at. So you tend to just keep them around.

Recently, my son Luke lost his first upper-front tooth. As chance would have it, the tooth-fairy gave him a two-dollar bill. And, even more coincidentally, I have not seen my two-dollar bill in my office lately. Anyway, I know Luke thought it was pretty cool to get a two-dollar bill. He probably won't spend it for a while.

This started me thinking about people who have two-dollar faith. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make any faith sound cheap. A one dollar faith, even a two mites faith would be of great value. This is because they would be used. But people with two-dollar faith never use it. They keep it around for show. It is original to them. They even like to put it out on their printer's tray where other folks can see it. But they never give it away. Unfortunately, it is in their possession forever.

I remember from childhood the song which said, "Love is like a lucky penny, hold it tight and you won't have any. But give it away, and you'll have plenty, you'll end up having more."

Faith is not meant to be locked up, put on display, or kept selfishly. It is not nostalgic, and it is not for under the pillow. Biblical faith is nothing like a two-dollar bill.

"But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?" ~ James 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment