Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Greeting Cards

Cards matter. Do you know what a great thing it is to send a card to someone? Sometimes you may think it is not that big of a deal to send or receive one. But I can tell you, at the lowest points in my own life it was often a card that helped me make it through.

I remember being so scared when I was diagnosed with cancer. But people sent cards. Hundreds of cards. Over the course of my treatments and surgeries I received over 2000 cards! Sometimes the words on the card were inspirational, and sometimes just knowing that a friend thought I mattered made such a huge difference! I received cards from church prayer groups, and from Christian ladies in their 90's who prayed for me every day. I received cards from children that were created in Bible classes. I received cards from people I hadn't heard from in years.

When I left the Pulaski St. church to come to Cookeville, I remember one special card I received from an older gentleman named Jess Springer. Sometimes when you reflect on your ministry you doubt yourself. The card he sent me made me realize that what I was doing for the Lord was a good thing, that I had made a difference. Sometimes I think that one card saved my preaching career.

Recently, my family has been showered by cards due to the loss of my father. People probably don't know how wonderful it has been for us to receive them. I wish I could write a card back to every person and thank them. One church, the West Sparta congregation, has sent me dozens of cards! When you are grieving, sometimes the one bright spot in your day is going to the mailbox and finding out that somebody else cares. I admit that I am sad that the cards will stop coming soon. This is a natural progression - and soon it will be time for someone else to receive cards. But it just reminds me that expressions of love, no matter how small they may seem, are the things that make life worth living.

Send a card. It is a beautiful thing to do. You are changing the world.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted" ~ Aesop

"What is desired in a man is kindness..." ~ Proverbs 19:22

No comments:

Post a Comment