Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Running Out of Time

Good news! The gospel is good news! That is a literal definition of "gospel." This being the case it would seem that our primary focus as God's people would be to spread the gospel all of the time. Who doesn't like to share good news?

If the church isn't growing it is completely and totally our fault. We cannot blame the times. We cannot blame the leadership. We cannot blame the devil. We cannot blame the preacher. We cannot blame the Bible. We cannot blame the ignorance of the world. We cannot blame the culture. We cannot blame our busy schedules. We cannot blame our families. We cannot blame our jobs. We cannot blame our intentions. We cannot blame our fears. We cannot blame our ignorance. WE CAN ONLY BLAME OURSELVES!

If you look at the attendance record each Sunday and you don't like what you see - then make a decision to positively change it. Invite someone to services. Ask your neighbors to worship. Start a Bible study with someone. Open up your church directory and call the people who have been missing lately. Realize that you are a difference maker and a link between people and God. This is what you have been called to do. This a role you must fulfill.

Growing churches are churches in which every member is committed to the spread of the gospel. Preachers may help inspire, and leaders may promote opportunities, but until every member of the church makes a decision to care for the lost souls of others, the desired growth in our individual congregations will not take place.

I would like to think that every week we are doing more than worshiping our God. I would like to think that every week we are doing more than studying and fellowshiping with our brethren. I would like to think that we are making a difference in our world and that people who would otherwise not go to heaven will indeed be going because of the efforts we are making.

My son Luke recently made an interesting statement just before his baptism in September. He had announced to us (his parents) that he wanted to become a Christian, and of course we asked him why he wanted to make that decision. Among the answers he gave us, one in particular stood out to me. He said, "Because I am running out of time." He was so correct.

Brethren, I love you, but I want to tell you that we are running out of time. I am concerned and heart-broken that anyone may miss out on heaven because I did not talk to them about it or at least invite them to consider such good news. I beg you to have more than good intentions. The gospel is too good not to share! What are you going to do about it?

"The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel." ~ Mark 1:15

2 comments:

  1. Great post, brother. I think we get so caught up in long-term planning that we lose sight of the moment. We're constantly planning to graduate or for retirement, looking for the next job or searching for our next house. Immediacy is not something we feel very often, I think. It reminds me of a line from the movie Thor:
    THOR: I have no plans to die today.
    HEIMDALL: None do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, brother. I think we get so caught up in long-term planning that we lose sight of the moment. We're constantly planning to graduate or for retirement, looking for the next job or searching for our next house. Immediacy is not something we feel very often, I think. It reminds me of a line from the movie Thor:
    THOR: I have no plans to die today.
    HEIMDALL: None do.

    ReplyDelete