Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Absolutely No Soliciting"

I have encountered this sign at the doorfront of several businesses. When ever I think of this term my mind goes back to New Zealand, 1997. On a campaign we were told that some doors might have the sign, "No Letterboxing." This meant you could not leave a flier. When we came in to report on our first door-knocking effort, I replied that several of the homes refused "soliciting." The native folks burst out in laughter. Turns out "soliciting" means entirley something else in that country. But they knew what I meant.

I am ready to put this sign up now inside my TV screen. Here I was, just watching Monday Night Football, when a commercial comes on the screen for "Interactive Male." This is some kind of homosexual chat-line out of Nashville. I know things are falling apart when something like football, perhaps the most manly thing on the planet, is being turned into a side-show for the advancement of the gay community.

When will this end? There may be nothing more discouraging then living in a society morally akin to Sodom and Gomorrah. I shouldn't have to change a football channel to get away from it. Oh, wait a minute, when was the last time I changed the channel during a beer commercial?

Umm...this was more enlightening than I thought.

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen that add yet, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Although if you are night owl like me, there have been things like this for a while for "dating" services.

    Unfortunately, once you plug in your TV you invite the soliciting. As you mention, it is up to us to turn the station.

    In order to keep TV viewing prices at a minimum (and I use that term loosely) the stations need the advertising revenue. But it is up to the station whether or not to accept it. Problem is, if they deny something like this they have to deal with consequences from people on that side of the isle.

    But anyway, Tivo or a DVR of some sort is the best way to go. Just FF through the commercials. I hardly ever watch live TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best way to go is remove the TV. I don't know why I have felt all of these years that it was necessary to have a TV. Yes I do. Society (is the devil active in society today?) has made me believe I NEED a TV. Gee, I wonder why?? I know someone will mention - what about the "good" shows or that the TV can be used to share God's word with millions of people. I don't think that either of those things are the predominent reality of our NEED for TV. God's word survived many years without TV. Even people who can't afford a TV or cable or dish or whatever you need to make the TV work these days need to hear God's word. I imagine there was a time when instead of watching TV people got out and visited and got to know one another. There are many lonely people dying to be visited but that might mean missing our show. As I continue to ween myself from my TV I realize how much more time I have to study and do God's will. The decision wasn't easy at first but it was right for me.
    Melissa (first time blogger!)

    ReplyDelete