Saturday, October 6, 2007

"Getting on my Nerds"

Two nights ago my son Luke slept in our bed. I slept on the couch. It was move or don't sleep at all. Trust me. His reason for the need for comfort was a book his first grade teacher read at school that day. It was about a boy who had a nightmare in his closet. The nightmare would get out of the closet in the middle of the night and get in the boy's bed. My son is now terrified. He is looking for that nightmare everywhere he goes. I will have to thank her sometime for that one.

I am telling you that it has been a chore dealing with it. But I must realize he is only six. I was also afraid of the dark when I was younger. I would imagine things that weren't there. Luke has asked me on occasion to move objects or clothes that are in the dark so they will not look like certain things he has imagined. We have to do certain things to help our kids sometimes even if it seems ridiculous.

But with the extra effort, there is also the fun side. Last night Luke said I was doing something that was really "getting on his nerds." I told him I was sorry for getting on his nerds and that I would try not to get on his nerds.

I wonder how long it will take before he figures that phrase out. Probably about as long as there is a nightmare in his closet.

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. ~ Psalm 127:3

3 comments:

  1. .
    I have a 5yr old brother....
    We moved a few months ago and we now have an upstairs in the house that my brother calls "the hay loft" I thought it was comical.

    Kids are so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, my little girl likes to jump in bed too with Charity and I. Then no one gets any sleep. You are great.

    ReplyDelete