Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Man with the Four Dollar Soul

This may not be the most appropriate title. But as you read you will understand. Monday evening I was getting gas for my truck when a man approached me from the other side of the pump. He was unkempt and unshaven, his clothes were worn and his face revealed a man who had been beaten down by the cares of the world.

He was with three others in a small blue car which looked like it had only a few blocks left in it. He begged me for some gas. He said he was on his way to a Nashville hospital and nobody else would help them. I had already payed inside and I was about to pump my own gas, but I gave him the only money I had in my wallet - four dollars. He waved to his friends as if to say, put gas in the car, then he went inside.

Since I had already payed, I just started the pump and followed about 30 seconds behind him. He did not go to the counter to pay, but instead he had gone in looking for something. I followed at a distance, but he recognized me, did a loop through the store and exited quickly. I asked the cashier if he had given her any money for gas. She said, "No." As I went back outside they were pulling off and waved as if to say, "Thanks." They had not pumped any gas, they were simply running away. I am glad I hadn't given him twenty.

I am not sad about this incident for me. I am glad, that when I was asked to help someone in need, I did not wimp out, turn him away, or just keep what I had for myself. I am sad about this incident for this man and his friends. He was scamming people for cash to buy something other than what he said he needed.

This man's soul is worth more than four dollars. Jesus said our individual souls are of more value than gaining the whole world. But we sell our souls for far less than four dollars every day by the sins we are willing to commit when Satan tempts us. You might not have the guts to cheat people for a few pennies, but face the reality that you often are willing to boldly sin against your Creator and Judge to please your own whims and desires.

Your soul is worth so much more than what you are selling it for. Think it over. Repent. Save your soul.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" ~ Matthew 16:26

1 comment: