Monday, January 14, 2013

Scattering the Roses

 
Recently my five-year-old daughter was asked to be in an upcoming wedding. She has attended a few weddings but this will be her first time participating. When I told her about the request for her involvement she was ecstatic. She immediately shouted, "I am going to be petal girl - who-hoo!" She assumed this was going to be what she was asked to do. I don't know if it is because she will feel important, or because roses are pretty, or because it would be an excuse to make a mess without repercussions - but she cannot wait to scatter those petals!

It brought to mind something I have thought about over the years that I believe is very important. We all ought to be scattering roses. There is so much negativity in our world. The media does nothing but talk of murder and strife among our people. And the world is so competitive that we have become selfish and self-centered and demanding. I believe these trends lead to too many thorns and not enough roses along the way.

A few years back I remember an elder in a local congregation who took a section of the church bulletin to include a column entitled, "Scattering the Roses." Every week he would pick a person or family in the congregation and write wonderful things about them and lift them up. Imagine the impact upon a church family where roses were scattered like that on a regular basis. People would feel appreciated. The church would get used to hearing positive things about its members. Those who scattered roses would have the joy of edifying individuals and in turn the whole body of Christ.

"Father in heaven, thank you for loving me the way you do. Thank you for the church. Thank you for surrounding me with so many wonderful people. Help me, Father, to be determined to scatter roses and not thorns along the pathways of my life. Help me to scatter roses and not thorns upon the paths of others. Thank you for Jesus, who was willing to bear the thorns when he deserved roses. I praise your name for all of your wonderful works. I praise your name for roses. Amen."

My little girl is right on target. We should all be excited to be "petal people."

"The flowers appear on the earth; The time of singing has come..." ~ Song of Songs 2:12

No comments:

Post a Comment