Monday, July 15, 2013

Another Reason to Abstain from Alcohol

Sometimes it is hard to understand why people do the things they do. I have never understood why any Christian would engage in social drinking. The Bible lists passage after passage about the foolishness and dangers involved with alcohol. I have countless personal stories I could share from my preaching career of families torn apart by alcoholism. Lives are ruined. Souls are lost. For me it is a no-brainer. I refuse to have anything to do with any intoxicating beverage.

Beyond the common sense arguments, the apostle Paul gives us another reason why Christians should not drink alcohol (Romans 14:21) - "It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak." First, note that Paul says we should do nothing which would make our brethren stumble (wine is not the only thing from which we should abstain). Second, understand that influence alone is reason enough not to engage in some things. Christians have places they will not go and things they will not do. This is just a part of holy living. This is what it means to be "called out" of the world and joined with Christ in His church.

The typical response to any discussion like this one from people who want to argue for participation is usually an argument from silence. The one contending for the right to partake of alconol will point out that there is no specific condemnation for having a drink. The Bible says clearly that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God (1 Cor. 6:10). What make a person drunk? Alcohol. It is enough for me to decide that I am not going to flirt with anything that may lead to my eternal condemnation. It is not a matter of arguing about the degree of something. It is about living in such a way that I can know without a doubt I am pleasing to God.

This principal for holy living applies to every aspect of our lives. What kind of language will I use or allow myself to be exposed to? What content when it comes to entertainment will I permit? What type of attitude will I have towards the laws of my country? What will I put in my body (food or drink) since it is the temple of the Holy Spirit? The list can almost be endless. The pursuit of holiness is a daily and difficult endeavor. But Christians must be dedicated to it. We are supposed to be continually transformed by the renewing of our minds. This implies that for the rest of our lives we will allow ourselves to undergo the changing that Christ wants to accomplish in us.

I don't know about you, but I want to be different than the world. I did not become a Christian so that I could try to get away with worldly practices and attempt to use grace as the fallback plan. I obeyed the gospel not only to receive forgiveness - but in the hope that God would begin to work in me and make me more like Him. This is what we were created for in the first place.

"Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise." ~ Proverbs 20:1



2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! What 'good' could possibly come (for anybody) from imbibing in beverage alcohol?

    ReplyDelete