Thursday, January 24, 2008

Don't Blame DVR and TiVo

Superbowl time means Superbowl parties. I know that I love to watch the Superbowl and I usually get together with friends to watch it. (I could care less about half-time and I am glad I wasn't watching Janet a few years ago). I know there are many Superbowl parties across the nation. I am thankful that mine is with Christian friends and I don't have to worry about drinking, smoking, designated drivers and all the other worldly norms.

But there is still one thing about the Superbowl that Christians are having a problem with. It is putting a game before the Lord. Churches are having "Super Sundays" and other gimmick-type events. They change their times of worship because they don't want to miss any of the game and they think that others won't come on Sunday night when the Superbowl is on.

Growing up I lived on the west coast. The pacific time zone meant I never saw the end of any Superbowl. I was at church services for these occasions. My parents taught me that no secular event ever takes precendence over the assembly of God's people. There were no exceptions. I thank God for their example and the blessing it has been to me in my spiritual life. And guess what? Not watching wasn't the end of the world.

I am thankful for DVR and TiVo, and any of these new programs that allow us to watch things when we want to. Last year, one of our members had several people over after evening worship and we watched the entire Superbowl with no interruptions. But what if these services were not available now? Would we miss the assembly? Would we figure God would overlook this one time because of other faithful moments? Would the elders throw in the towel and have an early service? If so, then we need not blame Tivo or DVR. We need to examine ourselves.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness..." ~ Matthew 6:33

2 comments:

  1. My own church does not do this, but why does it matter the time of day you have assembly? If a church wants to move back it's worship time, is God upset church is at 5:00 instead of 6:00? You can enjoy this life God has given us and still have reverence for the Lord our Savior.

    Stuck in tradition and not God's word...business as usual around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do not allow comments that are negative on my blog, because the purpose of this blog is not to argue or debate. The purpose of this blog is to encourage and uplift. But I would like to respond to this comment.

    The point that is being made has to do with "why?" If we are allowing secular events to change what we are doing as a spiritual body, then we are allowing worldly things to dominate.

    I agree with the fact that each congregation has the right to set their services at any time. The elders have decided to move our service times at daylight savings times each year. The purpose, however, is to avail people the better opportunity to worship.

    There is a difference in the other, which is really setting aside what we normally do for a Superbowl. This is not traditionalism, but my opinion. Is it a sin? Let each one decide.

    I am trying to make people think about what they are doing. If the Superbowl is more important than worship, then we really have lost our spiritual man. For some it is more important. This is evidenced by their absence from the evening assembly.

    ReplyDelete